Tuesday, September 25, 2012

News from the Kingdom: September 25, 2012

My day has consisted of the following: a two-and-a-half-hour meeting at work, followed by the consumption (on my part) of a substantial quantity of fried fish and shrimp.  The latter was combined with a not-inconsiderable amount of having to fight off the attentions of my cats.  (I tried to feed them the oysters, but, like me, they can't stand the grimy things, so that was a no-go.)

I mention all of that as a means of suggesting that you happen to notice me being a bit more off my game than seems normal, let's chalk it up to an oncoming fried-seafood coma.  Mmmmm ... delicious unconsciousness ...

Hey, check it out: a segue has presented itself!  Because speaking of sleep, the release date for Doctor Sleep has finally been announced: September 24, 2013.

Here's a not-particularly-accurate representation of that concept:




If you got that joke, then I congratulate you on your nerdery.  Know that here, you are among your kind!

Now, moving on from sleeping Doctors, let's turn our attention to another King novel, Joyland.  The cover art for the release (which will be a Hard Case Crime paperback) has been revealed, and it is a beaut:




Here's the sad truth, which I don't actually find to be all that sad: if you place a painting of a big-titted redhead in a skimpy green dress on the front of a novel, you've got my attention.  If that novel just so happens to be written by Stephen King, not only do you have my attention, you have my thanks.  So: thanks, Hard Case Crime!

Thanks also to the artists, Robert McGinnis (who has been designing Hollywood posters -- including one of my very favorites, Thunderball -- for decades) and Glen Orbik (whose work on the cover to The Colorado Kid might be familiar to readers of this blog).  Obviously, McGinnis and Orbik know what I like as far as a bit of cheesecake goes, but let's forget that; what I'm seeing here is also appealing from a standpoint of color, mood, perspective, and design.  It all just works.

Great stuff!




Also announced recently: the paperback release date for The Wind Through the Keyhole will be November 6.

I don't make it a habit to buy King novels in every edition, because I don't have the money for an obsession of that level.  However, I love that cover art (which appears to my untrained eye to have been done by the same person who did the hardback's excellent cover art); so rest assured that I will most definitely be picking up a copy of this paperback.




Now, for some movie news.

No, no, there's no remake of Pet Sematary ... yet.  (Rest assured, it WILL happen eventually.)

Instead, Fangoria reported recently that a documentary titled Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary is in the works.  Check that link out for the details, but here's the short version: some fans have gotten together and are working on a documentary examining the history of the 1989 film.

This is a pure labor of love, seemingly, and I hope it turns out well.  I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but it definitely holds a certain amount of cachet among horror fans ad King fans alike, and is well worth looking at in some detail.


William Goldman

The Guardian reports that a new stage version of Misery has been written by William Goldman, who also adapted the Oscar-winning movie a couple of decades or so ago.

I tend to not get very excited about these stage adaptations, for a simple reason: I'm unlikely to ever see them.  Put 'em out on Blu-ray, folks; I'll buy a copy!


James Remar

In more movie news, Variety reports that James Remar -- who is probably best known of late for playing Dexter's dad on Dexter -- has joined the cast of Horns.  I can only assume he'll be playing Ig's dad, although there is no indication one way or another so far.




Yep, that's a birth certificate for Carrietta White, whose name might be familiar to King fans.

The document was the first thing put up on an official Facebook page that was recently launched in support of the upcoming Kimberley Peirce movie based on the classic King novel.

For the record: it is the official position of this blog and its author that the Brian DePalma movie from 1976 sucks, and that this new version will whip its sorry ass in virtually every way.

We shall know the truth of that statement come March 2013!

And, finally, CBR recently posted an article compiling several excellent comic-book inspired mashups of Stephen King stories with superheroes.  There are some pretty great ones; I'm going to post my three favorites here, but make sure you head over to the original post to check them all out!






See ya next time!

8 comments:

  1. That birth certificate is a forgery!

    jk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley Peirce must have been catching heat from Donald Trump...

      Delete
  2. There's one upcoming book I haven;t commented on yet. From what i can tell, this will either be a straight crime related serial killer thriller with no supernatural elements in the vein of Richard Bachman, or it might be all that yet with a supernatural element, either way is fine with me. In a way though, I almost wish this were a Bachman book, however that's just me.

    As for the Carrie facebook page...

    Okay then, here's my prediction of how the new film ends based on the evidence of the facebook page, in particular it's title, "Whatever happened to Carrie?"

    The movie will follow the book almost, if not quite, to a T. I still like my school bullies as insane mental patients idea. Anyway, the finale I predict will be the same, with one major difference. Carrie comes home, Mom injures Carrie (fatally or so it seems), Carrie kills Mom then, here's where it get interesting. She sits in the kitchen and everything starts to catch fire, sound of approaching sirens in the distance, finally Carrie brings the entire house down seemingly on top of herself.

    Cut to final news and documentary montage complete with interviews of all the characters who survive, (including Sue, who explains she doesn't know what's happened etc) cut to shot of woman reading of Carries exploits somewhere in, say, Florida. She lowers paper and...It's Carrie! Alive and well! She half smiles, folds paper, and walks off into the crowd.

    This is all just a guess though.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I hadn't noticed the "What Happened to Carrie" thing. Interesting...

      I'll be surprised if there isn't SOME sort of fakeout-type thing at the end. Maybe not quite of the sort you suggest, but then again, you never know.

      As for "Joyland," I think I remember reading somewhere that King had at one point considered releasing that one as a Bachman title. I might be confusing it with something as-yet unpublished, though; I don't recall that a title or even a concept was mentioned.

      Delete
  3. This is justa ctach up on the last comment regarding Lilja and Lou's Pixar idea. The mistake was mine, I keep forgetting that in a junkie culture like Hollywood a practical idea like lowering production prices on something as simple as computer animation will always be tossed out the door in favor of less sure ideas like an easy buck.

    And I call Hollywood a junkie culture because I've long since learned addiction has many forms other than just the bottle or the needle, there's also addiction to the green stuff for instance, even though Adam Smith long ago demonstrated that money of itself has no intrinsic value, however you tell that to a studio suit. Just one more variation on that old time junkie shuffle, however this isn't that king of blog.

    As regards your comment about non family animated films not doing good, well, all I know is it's funny you should say that as I just got through watching an episode of the Nostalgia Critic: Top 11 Underrated Classics. On pick that sort of jumped out at me was Return to Oz.

    One of thoughts I've had from what little I've seen of that film ,I haven't properly watched it yet, is that the director must have been inspired on some level by Tod Browning's Freaks. Yeah, I know, that is a weird thought to have. In fact I'm still thinking it over when I read your comment about non-family animated films.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "Return to Oz"! It's a little cheesy, but waaaay more of it works than doesn't work, and overall it's a real shame that movie didn't catch on back in the day.

      I'm totally not following you on the subject of computer animation being cheap, though. I mean, yes, sure, it CAN be done cheaply, but not if it's being done at the quality level a company like Pixar is working at. They spend an average of four years working on their movies; it's an expensive process, and the last thing I'd want to see them do is start rushing it to save money. I can get that from lesser companies.

      Delete
  4. All i was saying was that you were probably right about Lilja and Lou being over optimistic on the idea of a computer animated Dark Tower. I was overoptimistic because I thought the ubiquity of computer graphics facilities in Hollywood would make production prices cheaper when I realized that would never happen as long as studios can squeeze every kind of expense out of it.

    It's a goose with the golden egg type deal and a money addiction, a bad combo for any film venture. Which is a shame, because it still seems like the most logical conclusion, especially with the low men and slow mutants. Think adventures of Tintin.

    Too bad though.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah; gotcha.

      Done in the style of Spielberg's Tintin, it could definitely work. Maybe someday it will be economical enough for that to happen.

      Delete