Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Under the Dome 2.06: "In the Dark"

Well, for the second consecutive week, I find myself in the position of having to spend the latter half of my off day not as I wish to do -- blogging (probably very snarkily) about Under the Dome -- but going to friggin' work.  Which means I have precisely half an hour to write a review of this week's episode.  And given that I kept falling asleep during it (probably thanks to me begin up entirely too late putting the finishing touches on my Golden Years review), I'm not sure how effective a job I'm going to be able to do.  But hey, this blog is a time-capsule for me as much as it is anything else, so it'll just have to be what it'll be, I guess.
  
It was an okay episode.  Not one of the better episodes of the season, but neither did it manage to make me roll my eyes more than about once or twice.  Two times that I can think of: Big Jim lurching back toward villainy AGAIN by telling Barbie that people shouldn't be allowed to vote; and the big Joe/Norrie breakup scene.  But even those threads ended up being relatively inoffensive.
  
The episode revolved around four primary plotlines: (1) Barbie and Sam exploring the recently-discovered tunnels which run beneath the school; (2) Big Jim trying to construct a windmill to alleviate some sort of dust storm (the explanation for which must have happened during one of my micro-naps); (3) Julia and Rebecca trying to unblock a bunch of rocks that collapses in the tunnel thanks to an explosion, seemingly rigged by Lyle; and (4) the Four Hands trying to retrieve the egg from the lake.
  
Of those, I guess the Barbie/Sam plotline was the most intriguing, mainly because it actually gave Mike Vogel a chance to act a little bit.  That's a semi-rarity on this series.  Hell, even Eddie Cahill got a chance to do something other than stare blankly into space.  We found out -- assuming we can believe what we saw (which I think we can) -- that Sam (A) did indeed kill Angie; (B) plans to kill the other Hands; and (C) is indeed doing so because he believes it will bring the dome down.  However, he's obviously conflicted about it.  Actually, scratch that; he's not conflicted at all, he's downright remorseful over what he's having to do, to the extent that he plans to kill himself once the deed is totally done.  That turns Sam into a much more interesting character than he has ever even approached being before.
  
One other semi-notable occurrence: John Elvis make his first appearance of the season as Benny the skate-kid.  He looks as if he's been on the reverse of the Atkins diet, and I'm not sure how Benny picked up all those extra pounds in just a few weeks of story time, but I think we might have our explanation for the food-shortage problem of a few episodes ago.

Half-hour's up, y'all!  See you next week, hopefully in a less-abbreviated fashion.

4 comments:

  1. My initial reaction after the end of the current episode (taken from N. Gaiman's Neverwhere):

    ....Well...Bugger and Blast!

    While I'll admit this isn't the worst episode, it isn't the best, at least I don't think so. Part of it stems from the episode being comprised of bits and pieces that do have potential, but somehow they get bogged down by CBS cheese. Or else the writer's give themselves an opportunity to move the story and the characters forward and yet everything remains static. It's almost like they feel the need to hit the reset button in mid-show instead of after the show.

    That bit about moving forward is based on the fact that the tunnel pretty much means sooner or later the promise at the beginning of this season about "The Outside comes In" is going to happen sooner or later. I just wish it would happen sooner, and that it wouldn't get bogged down in melodrama.

    I liked at least the idea of the tunnel (it's the execution that's wanting), I liked Dean Norris going back to being a bastard, I liked the recovery of the egg but a lot of the stuff leading up to it needs work. Of the three, it's Norris that really carries this episode. The rest are having to struggle with mediocre writing. I don't know, but right now, unless the next few episodes pick up, I don't how this season is going to turn out.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Dean Norris right where he is now: sort of a good guy, but also kind of a prick. I don't believe this series will ever even get close to giving him the sort of great material he got on "Breaking Bad," but as long as they can avoid having him be a cartoon, I think he's on solid ground.

      I don't know how I feel about the tunnel. If the end result is that it provides a way into or out of the dome, I'm going to roll my eyes so hard that I may throw my back out. And yet, what else can possibly be going on with it? Ah, well; I've long since given up on the idea of expecting anything remotely sensible from the series, so I guess I'll just roll with it.

      Delete
  2. My husband has just quit the show.. he says it lost his interest. I am still holding on.. I don't think it's terrible but there isn't much else on TV right now either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad quit it at the beginning of the season. My mom's still hanging in there, but I think it's to humor me. ;)

      I have to say, I feel slightly better about wasting my parents' cable on this show than I do wasting my own. Mine gets used so rarely these days that it's a complete waste anyways, really...

      Delete